Thursday, July 23, 2009

DOES LIFE IN THE SLUMS AFFECT CHILD BEHAVIOR


Social activists and governments discuss a great deal about providing facilities to the people living in slums.But little has been done to study the changes in the behavior of the children living in the slums and especially those who finally take begging as their profession.The incidents that occurred in Mumbai forced me to write such an article.

I should narrate the incidents first.While walking from Kurla railway station to Lokmanya Tilak railway station, I found a lot of children in the railway platform and also in the nearby slums.On a small road having wall on both sides,some children were playing cricket right across the road.The road was crowded by passengers who were going between two stations.But they paid little consideration and hits the ball as hard as they can.The ball hit an old man and he almost fell.It was a nasty blow for an old man.They never paid attention and continued their game.When the old man tried to advice them to change their place for playing,instead of even listening,they hurled bad words at him and threatened him.Other elder people walking through that road,never paid attention to all these incidents.The old man was literally threatened away.


Another incident occurred when I was waiting at the railway station.A small kid came up with a very small undernourished, almost skeletoned child in his arms.He begged money to by food for his younger brother.Usually I never give money to beggars,as I feel it actually encourages begging and prevent them from leading a noble life.But I was very moved by the condition of that young kid and thought he was in real need for food.So I gave his brother some money.As I was so early , I have to wait for a long time.After sometime a women came up with the same small child and begged money for his food.I said I have already given money to his brother.She didn't understood my language and went away.I thought she was his mother and thought that the whole family was very concerned about this small child.I had to wait hours for the train.Then I found that the same child was used by many children,old men etc for begging.I found it hard to believe that an undernutritioned child was being utilized by every one like a public property to make their living.

I think they were purposely not feeding the young child to utilize him for begging.
I think the life in slums and begging are changing the behavior of the children.They are becoming arrogant,rude and were ready to use any method to extract money.Even in childhood they were forced to act like adults or even like criminals.It is hightime that the people around the world do something to give back their childhood and help them build a good future.

No comments: